What are the signs of hail damage to my roof?
Large hailstones or lengthy hail storms can cause significant damage to roofs. Some signs of hail damage to your roof are:
- Dented or cracked shingles: Hailstones can hit the shingles on your roof, causing them to crack or dent. As a result, leaks can occur. Therefore it’s important to check for any areas where the shingles appear damaged.
- Missing shingles: Hail can also dislodge shingles from your roof, causing them to fall off or become loose.
- Bruising or soft spots: Hailstones can cause bruising or soft spots on the shingles, which can be difficult to see. But, if you run your hand over the shingles, you can feel areas that feel soft or spongy.
- Granule loss: The impact of hailstones can cause the granules on your shingles to loosen and fall off. Check for areas where the granules have been knocked off and there are bare spots on the shingles.
- Cracked or broken tiles: If you have a tile roof, hail can crack or break the tiles, which can lead to leaks.
- Damaged flashing: Hail can also damage the flashing around chimneys, skylights, and vents on your roof, which can lead to leaks.
Does Insurance cover hail damage to my roof?
Whether or not your insurance policy covers hail damage to your roof depends on the specific terms of your policy. Most homeowners insurance policies do cover damage caused by hail, including damage to your roof.
Limitations or exclusions from insurance coverage can be determined through a careful insurance policy review. However, some policies may have limits on coverage for certain types of damage or may exclude certain types of roofs (such as older roofs or roofs made from certain materials).
You should contact your insurance company as soon as possible if you believe that your roof has been damaged by hail. It’s important to realize that this starts the claims process as well as the insurance adjuster inspection. This inspection determines your insurance payout.
Furthermore, It’s a good idea to document the damage by taking photos and keeping any receipts or estimates from contractors for repairs or replacement. You will receive a higher payout from your insurance if you have these items.
How does a roofer fix hail damage?
- Hire a professional roofing contractor: It’s important to hire a licensed and insured roofing contractor to make the repairs. They will be able to provide an estimate for the repairs and detail the scope of damage. They can work with your insurance company to ensure the repairs are covered.
- Replace damaged shingles: If the shingles are damaged, they will need to be replaced. This will involve removing the damaged shingles and installing new ones.
- Repair flashing: If the flashing is damaged, it will need to be repaired or replaced. This is important to prevent water from entering the home.
- Clean gutters: Hail damage can cause debris to build up in the gutters. It’s important to clean the gutters to prevent further damage to the roof.
If you suspect your roof has hail damage, it’s important to have a professional inspect it as soon as possible to assess the extent of the damage and make any necessary repairs.
If you have trouble understanding, getting in touch with or accepting your insurance companies response to your claim, TN Department of Commerce and Insurance may be able to help.