Depending on your type of roof shingles and the climate you live in, your roof’s life span could be as much as 50 years for *composite shingles or as little as 10 for Asphalt Shingles. That’s a wide span of time. However, a roof leak can cut the expected lifespan short quickly. Knowing the signs of a roof leak or shingle damage will alert you to take action early. And, catching problems early helps mitigate the damage and prolong your roof’s life.
- Small granules from your roof will fall off and can be found in the roof’s gutters and on the ground below. This is a good indicator of shingle damage and the need for roof repair.
- Clogged or leaking gutters allow water to go over the top instead of away from your roof. This can cause damage to your roof, siding and foundation.
- Look at the roof from the ground for signs of broken, curling or cracked shingles. This may only require a small repair. However, if allowed to progress could require a replacement.
- Your Roof needs repair if you have missing shingles. Missing roof shingles are a serious problem as they allow water in your home and the roof leak causes rotting wood, mold and progressive damage.
- Has it hailed? Have a roof inspection by a knowledgeable local roofer. The dents are not easy to see from the ground. You’ll need a roofer who knows how to speak the insurance company’s language.
- Dark spots or discoloration on ceiling and walls inside your home are one of the biggest signs of a roof leak to an owner. Having a roof repair as soon as you notice a roof leak helps prevent further damage including structural damage, mold and further water damage.
- If the attic has mold, decay or damaged wood, you may have a hidden leak.
I Have Signs of a Roof Leak, Now What?
Find the Best Roofer Near You and then call for an inspection. The “Dread” in roof repair usually comes when problems are not addressed. Because, the longer you let moisture in your home, the more damage and mold occur. More damage increases the cost of repairs or even the need to replace and that is what we wish to avoid. Call Tri-State Roofing at +1 (615) 784-4628 for your free roof estimate in middle TN today.
What roof shingles can last for 50 Years?
*Composite shingles contain materials such as fiberglass, recycled paper products and asphalt. They are fire resistant and don’t have moisture problems.