CHURCH SAFETY PROGRAM
Having a good safety program for your church does not have to be costly, however, failing to have one could cost Everything! Here are 5 Simple Tips that every church can take that will help protect their church but not affect the budget.
- 2 Person Rule for Children’s and Youth Department – this rule simply says that no adult will be left alone with a child or youth. This protects the child’s well-being and the employee and volunteer from false accusations.
- 6 Month Waiting Period for Children’s and Youth Volunteers – can help eliminate those who have bad intentions towards the children and youth.
- Secure the Building – as services and activities wind down, start locking doors to areas of the church that are not being used. This is for entering the building only, all doors must be able to be exited at any time.
- Have a Good Greeter Program – churches are a “welcoming” place anyway, but having individuals keeping an eye on the parking lot and surrounding areas of the church can prevent criminal acts.
- Have Written Policies and Procedure and USE them! Employee Manuals, Disaster Plans, Building Safety Plans, Volunteer Applications and Sexual Abuse Prevention Policies are just a few we suggest.